A Tribute to My Grandma Holley
Today is Grandma Holley's birthday. What could I say about this incredible lady? She wasn't just a grandmother, mother, aunt, pastor's wife...the list could go on, but she was my friend and someone I looked up to.
She was a wonderful cook...homemade chicken 'n dumplings, biscuits, and I cannot leave out the chocolate gravy! For those that have never been privileged to try it, they are just missing out. It is now a favorite of my girls, although they don't get it very often anymore.
An excellent seamstress from whom I learned by just sitting and watching. Someone who (it seemed) had the patience of Job. I can remember certain saints that would call while I was at her house, and Grandma was always calm, polite and very gentle. I will tell on her now though, that while these phone calls were going on, she would be making funny faces at me, setting me off in giggles! Even though it has been 16 years since she's been gone from this earth, I still miss her calling me on my birthday singing "Happy Birthday" to me. A "little" off-key, but it was music to my ears and something I always came to expect on my special day. I always thought I was her favorite, but come to find out she made everyone feel that way.
I still miss her, and as time has gone by, wish that I could ask her questions now that I am in the pastor's wife role. But I am SO thankful for the heritage that she and Grandpa left to their children, and their children's children, and on and on it could go.
Won't it be wonderful there (one of her favorite songs)?!!!

4 Comments:
Thanks for the reminder about Grandma. I miss her also! Just like you, I would like to sit down and talk about ministry to with Grandpa and Grandma. I think I picked up things as a child that I didn't even realize. They never took life so seriously that they couldn't have fun, but living for God was paramount. I think I was her favorite...
Carla, I feel like I have quite a few memories of Grandma Holley (my great-grandmother) but I know most of my memories are stories that my mom has told me through the years. One thing I do remember vividly was that her cheeks were so soft. I can close my eyes and feel them on my lips. Grandma and Grandpa Holley started a long line of God-loving individuals. I pray that we can all live a life that will allow our children, (God-willing in my case) grandchildren and great-grandchildren to be able to continue these traditions. From "Won't It Be Wonderful There" to Chocolate Gravy.
I have recently come across your blog along with all the other 2nd cousin blogs. It makes me smile when I think of how happy and proud you must be making Grandpa and Grandma Holley if they can see you from Heaven.
Love Ya!
Misty
There are so many times that I long to be able to see Grandma again! I would love for her to see my kids all grown up!
I would love to hear her sing again. I heard it so often in her kitchen. Putting her hand together by the fingertips as she sang to us! (Uncle Ernest picked that gesture up)
She was the best Grandma I could ever have hoped or dreamed for! I love and miss her still!
Lona...what a woman!
Well, I'm going to get in on the family celebration about Grandma Holley. After my husband accepted the church that Bro. and Sis. Holley had pastored for so many years I enjoyed sitting and talking with her and Bro. Holley. They were such great people of God. Sis. Holley would stand and testify and I loved it! Ya'll have so much to be thankful for. You have a beautiful heritage.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home