Keith and Carla

Friday, January 05, 2007

5 Things You May/May Not Know About Me (Carla's)

I've racked my brain trying to think of something you may not know about me, but I'm having a hard time coming up with something. You probably know about most of it. Anyways, here it goes...

1. I did NOT want to marry a preacher. As a matter of fact, a red-head or military guy either. I was so bold as to tell several that I wouldn't! God has a way of making you eat your words, so to speak, because I married a guy with all three of those characteristics. I DEFINITELY don't regret almost 17-1/2 years of being married to the most wonderful person on earth! On our second date, I asked Keith if he felt a "call" into the ministry. He gave me the goofiest look and said, "Why no. Why do you ask?" I didn't let him know right then, but that would have been the last date had he said yes. He waited until we had been engaged for about 2 months before giving me the "news." I was already hooked by then!!!

2. I was in a wreck in 1980 with other young people from our church school. My right ear was half hanging and my left arm (in the wrist area was cut) and had some damage to the tendon. Even after surgery, I had some problems with it going numb and would almost drop whatever was in my hand. The Lord healed it and there have been no problems since. I do, however, have a slight problem with the middle two fingers dragging. While my arm was in a cast, my teacher switched me to the organ until it healed, and when the cast came off, I never went back to the piano (plus with the dragging fingers it's kind of hard - they seem to hit the keys that you don't want to hit). My ear was tested, and they said my hearing was superb (my girls would agree on this one).

3. I am "petrified" of storms (especially those with the jagged lightning and strong winds)! This dates back to the 1979 tornado that hit Wichita Falls. I was only 12 years old when it happened, standing beside my Dad, pulling on him to come hide with Mom, Kevin, and myself. But he stood there and when it reached the back of the pasture fence (it was heading straight for our house), he just said, "Jesus!" The tornado lifted, went on into town and the rest as they say is history. I will say, "Thank, God, Daddy knew the Master of the wind!" I know Him now, too, but I still prefer the winds to stay calm!!!

4. I do not like to speak in front of others. While going to MSU in Wichita Falls, I had to take speech. The days preceding my speech, I began to get sick. And I do mean sick!!! I called the professor, and he told me not to worry to just come in the next time class was in session. I did go the next time class was in session(still sick). He took one look at me (still white as a ghost), and told me I didn't look too good to just wait until the next time. I informed him that I wouldn't get any better until I got the speech over with. Speaking is still not my "thing." Keith tells me that I do good, but when I sit down I have no recollection of anything that I've just said!!! I always have to ask if it made any sense. Even after a little over 4 years as pastor's wife, I get weak when going up to play the organ. And I have to hang onto the microphone for fear that my hand will shake so bad, that I will wind up throwing it! Okay, go ahead and laugh!!! Keith even bought me a book by O.C. Marler, "When You Stand to Speak." The book still has the bookmarker on about the third page of the FIRST chapter. I can't get past it without getting queasy!

5. The ONLY time I got in trouble in school was in the first grade. My teacher had left the room, and one of my friends and I got up and did cartwheels in the front of class. Sure enough, I was the one standing when she returned. I got a little talking to and hand paddling, but it must have done the trick, because I never got in trouble in school again. My conduct grades were always excellent. In fact, my teachers always said I was too quiet!

10 Comments:

At 11:04 PM , Blogger Tammy Bryant said...

I loved it all and guess what?
Here is our new blogspot:

http://blessingsfromthebryants.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:56 PM , Blogger Gene Holley said...

I kind of knew most of these, but not the details of all of them! That comes from growing up together and becoming such good friends (not just cousins). I clearly remember the wreck and your injuries, as I walked around with a mailbox stand hanging across my shoulders! Your hand recovery is amazing! Are you sure you NEVER got in trouble at LCA? No demerit or anything? I got called into the office several times and had a few detentions! Enjoyed reading this.

 
At 12:44 AM , Blogger Karla said...

Carla - I loved your "5". I didn't know you had asked Keith about the ministry on your second date! That's great! I definitely know you're scared of storms - remember driving to Dallas in the rain? LOL!

Love you,
Karla

 
At 11:18 AM , Blogger Linda Elms said...

Carla, I love your 5! Yes, I remember a lot of this, not all the details, though. I remember you being so afraid of storms because we were in the middle of one when our doorbell rang and it was you standing at the door, shaking with fear! I don't know where you were when it hit, but we were the closest to you. We almost couldn't get the door open fast enough! I felt sorry for you. About the speaking and playing. I know this well! How many times did I PUSH you to do these things, and was refused? (not out of rebellion, but fear) I understood the feelings well since I've had them myself. And.... I think it's GREAT you married a PREACHER! It takes someone "special" to be in the ministry. God knew you could be trusted with that responsibility!! Love you!

 
At 3:30 PM , Blogger Judy King said...

I thought I posted this and then lost it! Oh well...hopefully it won't show twice and I can remember what I said! LOL

I can remember the day I heard your Mom had a little girl! I was so happy we had a girl and not a nasty little boy!!!

My memories of you go from your birth...to your childhood...to the time period right before I was married that I was your "baby sitter"....to the crazy trip when big pregnant me, my husband Johnny, your Uncle Johnny, Aunt Freda, Kevin, Gene Jr, Charlie, Jennifer, you and the dog went in a small motorhome to the Gulf.

I am so proud of the Lady you have become!

 
At 4:53 PM , Blogger Keith and Carla said...

Tammy,

Glad you're finally blogging instead of just blogging!

Gene,

I did get one detention, but it was because I made myself do it just to see what it was like! I got called into the office once, but I had no clue as to what was going on or what I was called in there for so I was excused. I'm glad we're not just cousins - you are one super duper person!!!

Karla,

I do remember that trip to Dallas. If my memory serves me correctly, I let you do the driving!

Sis. Elms,

I do remember that storm! Thanks for letting me in. LOL.

Judy,

I remember that trip to the Gulf. I used to think Uncle Johnny was rich! All I remember was the $20's and $10's. What sticks in a kid's mind?!!!

 
At 4:56 PM , Blogger Keith and Carla said...

Tammy,

My mistake - I meant, "I'm glad you're blogging instead of just commenting! LOL.

 
At 9:01 PM , Blogger Tammy Bryant said...

Carla, unless Bro. Keith is having an out of body experience also like Bro. Gene - I am glad to be blogging and not just commenting. I will have to stay up on it. It takes a little work but it is fun!

 
At 12:30 AM , Blogger Keith and Carla said...

Ronda,

Life would have definitely been "boring" if I had not married a minister! Never a dull moment. LOL. The "certain people" you are talking about wouldn't happen to be my cousin would it? I am quiet to begin with until I REALLY get to know someone. Just cautious, I guess.

 
At 7:56 PM , Blogger Don Ryan said...

Sister Clark-

That was very interesting. I am amazed at the number of people who received miraculous healings in their lives (although I probably shouldn't be). Thanks for posting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home